Monday, March 4, 2013

Convergence Quilt Class

The other day, I got together with a few ladies from the guild I belong to, and I led them through the process in how to create a Ricky Tims Convergence quilt.

Once you make one, you see many more possibilities in your stash and fabric shops!

We had alot of fun, even when I made them rip out seams!

Laura chose these gorgeous batiks.

It became this lovely rectangular wallhanging, after a small mishap  became a design opportunity!







Laura was also Miss Speedy (there's always one in every class!)  who got a start on her second one!














Rosemary chose another bold set of fabrics that sang themselves into existence!



 Irene finally found a use for a favorite fat quarter.  Doesn't that inner border just sparkle?




Joy worked quietly away in her corner and produced her own masterpiece.





Sheila thought her fabrics were dull, but I considered them soft and gentle, and serendipity would have it that she had the perfect inner border hidden away in her bag!  Seriously, it was not planned!












Jude plugging furiously away....She had some great tips to share, too.



A fishing tackle box to organize all her sewing stuff

A lint roller stick to the top of the machine to catch loose threads!








5 comments:

Adele said...

I want to make a convergent quilt that would be lap size - maybe around 70x40?? or something of that sort. I don't know how large to make the starting blocks. Also, all the directions I have seen start with squares and the final quilt is a square. How can I make a rectangular convergent quilt. I would love your tips.

Gloria said...

Hi Adele! Thanks for your comments.

I would start out with 4 pieces of fabric larger than what I used. In your case 35 x 20? And start your cuts larger. You will need to figure it out on paper.

Good luck!

Gloria said...

Hi Adele! Thanks for your comments.

I would start out with 4 pieces of fabric larger than what I used. In your case 35 x 20? And start your cuts larger. You will need to figure it out on paper.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I want to make the convergence quilt for a queen size bed in four panels. What size square should I use.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a step-by-step layout and put together video